Sometimes when I have doubts about the red accents in my kitchen, rooms like the one above from Country Living rebuild my confidence. Strip away the personal touches, and you’re left with a showroom kitchen. But as an apartment dweller, it’s important to be able to add vintage touches to any space without changing the fixtures – like these new, bright white kitchen cabinets.
Use a metal and oak workbench as a kitchen island and add a trio of burlap baskets underneath for extra storage.
American Pickers recently taught me that there are barbed wire collectors, who look for individual craftsmanship and unique shapes – it can even be quite valuable. Who knew? While I don’t collect barbed wire, I do love the handmade feel of vintage wire household objects and the old patina to shows its age.
1) I have a wire basket hanging on the wall of my bedroom and a mesh collapsable basket in the kitchen. I love that they are both functional and sculptural at the same time.
2) This pair of handmade wire utensils would look great hanging in a kitchen.
At drastically different ends of the price spectrum, we have a pair of five bedroom Victorian painted ladies in Upstate New York and New England. Both have the typical charms of a large Victorian home such as sprawling porches and ornate trim.
The best part of this house in East Durham is that it comes with a bunkie that looks like a miniature doll house. Can you imagine the surprised look on your guests’ faces when they see what a charming little house they’ll inhabit for a long weekend in the country? While the interior is quite bare-bones, I would love to build out a new kitchen around the white wood plank pantry in the corner.
Sometimes you don’t want to over-plan your vacation and need a chill activity for a weekend evening in the country. Whether it’s a puzzle or card game, nights spent around a table with friends are always a great time. So build your collection of vintage games, pour a glass of wine, and settle in for the night.
1) When building your game collection, why not start with this two-in-one classics board: Carom and Crokinole. Thankfully, you can learn the rules to both games online.
2) Speaking of two-in-one boards, Backgammon and Checkers are a classic pair. The mother of pearl inlay makes this a special piece for your collection.
Every great country house has a corner devoted to stargazing! The best are stocked with with an old telescope and amazing reference materials so everything is within reach. So put away your iPhone app because here are a few of our favorites for your next summer evening of stargazing.
1) A celestial globe showing star and constellations for a global perspective.
2) Wear a blue chambray dress with star embroidery to get into the spirit.
We’re in Wellfleet on Cape Cod this weekend, and we couldn’t be happier. In addition to time at the beach, the agenda includes the flea market, a rosé tasting party, and cocktails in town to drink up these last few weekends of the summer! After all of this fun, it’s hard not to imagine owning a summer house out here.
This adorable shingled house is looking out on the bay on the main road heading towards Wellfleet, not far from Erika’s family home. For year-round living, the house boasts of fantastic outdoor decks (upstairs and downstairs, it appears?) and a lovely sunporch (As a side note, the owners would love our round up of wicker furniture!).
We adore the exposed beams and open living room/kitchen/dining area downstairs since it encourages vacation togetherness. Upstairs, all of the ceilings are covered in white washed beadboard and some painted wide floorboards. To be honest, we want it as is. We wouldn’t change a thing.
Last night, I was thinking about what a bad reputation there is for wicker and rattan furniture (photo by Femina via 79 Ideas). When someone mentions it, my mind automatically goes to pastel patios in Florida, but that doesn’t have to be the case. I love the organic look and feel that it brings indoors and the great aged patina when it’s used outdoors.
1) A pair of modern Frederick Weinberg iron and rattan chairs are great for enjoying some sangria on the patio.
2) Wouldn’t this pair of arch backed rattan chairs look great with some colorful throw pillows?